11/04/2015

NARS SHEER GLOW FOUNDATION




   


                                                                   I have been eyeing this foundation since it first hit the makeup counters years ago. It seemed as though every blogger, Youtuber or celebrity was talking about how amazing the NARS Sheer Glow foundation is. Although, I have always been a little reluctant when trying out new foundations and give them a reasonable amount of time to try out before I make up my mind on whether or not it's worth the purchase. 

You see, having a medium-olive skin tone, a lot of the times it's quite difficult to find the right shade or you end up being matched wrong by the make up artists selling the product. However, when I first checked out the NARS counter, I was pleasantly surprised by the variety in colour shades which I felt were more predominantly geared towards darker- tan- dusky skin tones. Even the way each shade is categorised according to pink or yellow undertones is particularly useful for makeup beginners in identifying what shade suits their complexion best.



The lovely lady in Sephora matched me with the shade Stromboli which is described as a Medium-3 with olive undertones. She first applied the foundation only on one side of my face to do a comparison and I kid you not, my face looked like it got an instant facelift. My skin appeared as a smooth canvas - perfectly covering up any pimples and blemishes. Bear in mind she only used a pea sized amount in the first application. Having said that, I would that the coverage is medium but definitely build-able and the lasting wear is quite reasonable; it would probably last a good 6-8 hours, depending on your skin type. 

This is another thing to note. Prior to my acne phase two years ago, I used to have very dry to dehydrated skin but I recently discovered that my skin condition is now in fact, combination. I don't know if thats a good thing or not because it often means dry patches in some areas or having an oiler T-zone. Nonetheless, NARS Sheer Glow is more directed towards dry-normal skin types. Personally, I found that it worked well with my skin, given that I moisturised and powdered my face. But I will say this - you absolutely do need to have a good, exfoliated  skin to be able to see the flawless results of this foundation. Of course, thats the case with any foundation but I did notice that NARS clinged to a few dry patches. But that could just be because my skin wasn't well looked after on that day. 

As the saying goes, "what might work for you, may not work for me." So be sure to try out the foundation for a full day or get yourself a sample size before buying it. I also wouldn't say that the coverage is full on dewy as the word "sheer" would imply. For me, the finish appeared as almost a satiny, semi-dewy finish. It did however, add a subtle natural radiant glow to my face. It also doesn't contain any SPF which is perfect for flash photography.



Another thing I'd like to mention is the fact that NARS medium shade foundations have veryyy strong yellow undertones, which may be seen as a drawback for neutral skin tones in finding their appropriate colour match. Although Stromboli is the closest match for my complexion, I do feel as though it appears as a tad bit too yellow against my skin. The shade lighter is Santa Fe which is prescribed for those with peachier under tones whereas the shade darker from Stromboli is Barcelona which would be just way too dark for me. 

Overall, I still do think that NARS Sheer Glow is a great foundation in terms of coverage and finish. It instantly evens the skin tone by cancelling out any redness, discolouration or spot blemishes. The light weightless texture is suitable enough to wear both as an everyday foundation or reserve it for special occasions. I think it definitely does live up to its hype and I can see myself wearing this for quite a while. If you're looking for a new foundation with a  build-able, semi-matte finish, definitely give this one a try. But be sure to test it out multiple times to get the colour shade just right! 

Pros
Great medium coverage 
Long-lasting wear
No white cast from camera
Suitable for spot-prone skin
Good colour range

Cons
Clings to dry patches 
Too yellow-toned 
Not very dewy 


Have you tried out any new foundations recently? Which one holds your 'holy grail' status?

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment