2/12/2016

REAL TECHNIQUES MIRACLE COMPLEXION SPONGE



As my knowledge about makeup slowly keeps expanding, so does my collection for tools and brushes. Three years ago I never thought I would need, like, five different makeup brushes to slap my makeup on with every morning. Does it make a remarkable difference? I like to think so, yes. However, at the start of this year, I decided to branch out and take things to another level with testing out the fuss behind makeup sponges, or beauty blenders as they're more popularly called. 

The original Beauty Blender costs around £16 (approx. 84 DHS) whereas Sam Chapman's Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge retails only at a fraction of the price at £6 (approx. 32 DHS) which is quite a difference in my opinion. Especially when it comes to buying, quite literally, a measly sponge to do your makeup with. Not wanting to gamble my money on something I wasn't too sure if I'd like, I decided to go for the cheaper option and try out the Real Techniques sponge and see how well I got on with it. 

In all honesty, my initial impressions weren't all that great. I felt like it absorbed way too much of the foundation, leaving hardly any product behind to work with. The quality of the sponge didn't impress me either, but given the price tag I'm not all that surprised. So if you are planning on buying this, bear in mind the fact that it is prone to tearing so you have to be super gentle whilst cleaning it. Another thing I noticed, which I'm assuming is similar in case for other beauty blenders too in the market, is that these things are impossible to remove makeup stains from! I just hate how sponges look when they're all patchy, faded and porous and this one definitely does start to look a little gross after a while. 

HOWEVER, it does have some plus points. First of all, the sponge has three different sides to work with. One end is with a pointed tip which is perfect for reaching the nooks and crannies, like covering up pesky scars or blemishes. The other end is almost a flat-ish bevelled surface for contouring around the eyes and nose as instructed on the packaging, and lastly a round side for blending, or rather stippling in your product onto the larger areas of your face. I find the 3-1 option great and I kid you not, my makeup routine is a lot faster now than before. I don't know what it is but something about using this sponge makes the whole applying process a lot easier and quicker than using 10 different makeup brushes. (I don't use that many, but you get the gist) 

As for the finishing, you're meant to dampen the sponge a little before getting into the blending business. Once its slightly damp (not wet!), start working in the foundation in a stippling motion so that you build the product up gradually if needed. Because you're essentially dabbing the foundation into your face with the sponge, you're not left with any streaky brush lines or that horrid cake-y look. Also, although I wouldn't say it gives off a super flawless finish, but if you are working with a heavier foundation or one that is on the matte-side, using this will definitely help to sheer out the base a little. I don't really know the science behind it, but it does help keep my makeup sit nicer and appear more dewy and natural. 

All in all, it's not a bad tool. I do worry about the hygiene factor with sponges though because of the bacteria that accumulates in them after a while. But given the price tag, they're easy to replace if sponges really are your thing. Although I find this wonky egg-shaped orange sponge effective for when applying heavier foundations, I'm still not sure if I'm a whole-hearted convert. Nonetheless, its not a bad tool to have in you collection. 

Pros

Great for sheering out liquid foundations 
Effective for under-eye concealing
Fast and smooth application
Reasonably priced

Cons

Tear, porous-prone
Leaves behind stains 
Requires regular cleansing 
Soaks up too much of the foundation



Have you tried the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion sponge or the original Beauty Blender? Which one do you prefer best? 

xx

Bloglovin Twitter l Pinterest l Instagram 


No comments:

Post a Comment